A Wednesday Off for Coronavirus


Today has been an interesting day so far. Despite being at home pretty much all day, except for a short venture out to get a mask gasket, I still had some rather interesting online interactions.

While browsing Facebook I came across various articles and posts from friends about the current state of South Korea and the coronavirus. There were a few comment exchanges that helped to give perspective, and help me think about how to behave and what to do during a certain situation. One particular thing I am thinking about is what do we do with the 신천지 sect? 

신천지 is a Korean religious group that believes their leader is essentially the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. Their evangelism tactics have been questionable in terms of my encounters with them. They have in the past met with opposition from established churches, some going so far as to post signs forbidding proselytization at their campuses citing laws forbidding such practices as hurting business.  

Their current connection to the corona virus comes from a particular member deemed a "super spreader" by the Korean CDC. This member refused to be tested for the disease despite having cough, and fever, and attended (so-called)church services two times while being symptomatic. During the gatherings she likely exposed thousands of 신천지 members to the virus. While some may try to scapegoat the sect member for disregarding proper health precautions, or the group itself for not being as forthcoming as it could have about members/contacts with the super spreader, or perhaps even rumors that they would intentionally spread the virus to make other churches look bad too, I don't think this is the Christian response. 

From the Christian perspective the sect members are slaves of a false ideology, and false messiah. They are captive to ideas that will ultimately not help them, and are in conflict with major things observable about the world we live in and their leader. It's something Christians have failed to mention in their discussion of this issue and I feel it needs to be raised. If we believe we have the truth, then we should expect people who oppose it to try to hurt us. Should we feel sympathy for them? I think most of them yes. Those who willingly participate in a deception, I'm not so sure, but I those who are truly deceived yes. Should we pray for all of them? The answer is a definitive yes. 

Another event of the day was an interesting discussion with a new friend about art music, art, movies, and God over Kakao Talk. She shared something interesting about my photos that helped me understand my own ambivalence towards Seoul. I see its people who often have to do dirty/difficult/dangerous jobs to get by which engenders sympathy, but at other times Seoul can seem overwhelming, vast and technical. Its giant buildings, modern public transit, and distributed technology. The city can be a picture of man's ingenuity and banality; a symbol of both the humanity of Koreans, and the attempts at transhumanity through so-called progress. The people who keep up and the people who are left behind. The genuine hard working caring people who become real, and the anonymous uncaring people who become symbols of the friction we experience living in a giant densely populated city, or entitled elites,  both another social scapegoat we can attach our frustration, annoyance, and discomfort to rather than seeking solutions. 

This friend and I found out we have similar views to what music is about and why it is important. To both of us music is a symbol of transcendent existence, and a transcendent being. The amount of healing, harmony, synergy, and beauty that comes through music points to something beyond us is an evidence for the Almighty. Discussing and sharing these things with my new friend reminded me how much I really love music and my musical aspirations I had as a teenager.

Today is a day I am thankful for all the things that have lead me to where I am and who I am, and reminded of where I can go.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Points of Guidance

It's Been A Long Time, Blog.