Reflections on the Past Two Days Amidst Corona Virus

Yesterday's Thoughts

After a long conversation with my friend about spiritual things had a chance to talk in Korean. Suddenly my friend was much more verbose. A bit overwhelming at first, but the freedom ease my friend seemed to feel was good. I'd really forgotten how powerful speaking someone's language is. Perhaps as a native English speaker I don't feel it as much as Koreans might but when my Korean friends are able to pronounce my name properly (a name not easy to say for Koreans) the emotional weight is hard to ignore.

So far we have talked about many spiritual things. There have been some interesting confluences of events when it came to this and right now I'm not really sure what to make of it all. I have to ask God about all these things. I'm always thankful to share my faith, but in this case sharing my faith with someone who thinks about and appreciates similar things has been very enjoyable. Finding people who appreciate these things especially rare.

Last night my friend also introduced me to an interesting drama called "Dramaworld". It's a kind of a parody of Korean dramas. As someone who lives here in South Korea it was nice to see something that showed the intersection of Korean and western culture from a more western perspective. That was refreshing.

Today's Thoughts

Corona virus has shown little signs of slowing down its spread in South Korea and bans on various public gatherings have lead to arrests of prominent radical religious leaders who oppose Moon Jae In, attempt public protests anyway. As for me I feel that Romans 13 discourages us from disobeying public authorities when it comes to non-Gospel/spiritual issues. I feel that these pastors and protesters are needlessly bringing controversy onto the church. It is disappointing to see, and saddening to see how who I am gets lumped together with them.

In another development a delivery driver for a popular food service app has tested positive for corona virus in my district. Most people have begun relying on delivery services for various necessities instead of going out. With the thought of delivery services contaminating food with corona virus now planted in the public consciousness the situation of public trust might become precarious and have detrimental effects on the economy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Points of Guidance

A Wednesday Off for Coronavirus

It's Been A Long Time, Blog.